General News

‘I didn’t ascertain £26m story but had cause to give it some credibility’ – Inusah Fuseini

Tamale Central MP Inusah Fuseini has said although he did not verify a claim brought to his attention by a group of people concerning an allegation that a Ghanaian government official had been arrested by UK authorities in Britain for attempting to smuggle £26 million into that country, he felt he had cause to give the claim some credibility.

This follows a denial by Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah that anything of the sort happened.

“Let me tell my brother and colleague Kojo Oppong Nkrumah that I’m not a purveyor of fake news and I will not put something on air if I don’t have reasonable belief in that”, Mr Fuseini told Kofi Oppong Asamoah on Class91.3FM’s 12Live news on Monday, 12 October 2020.

According to him, “Last week, a group of people met me and gave me information as to what was happening within this government, chronicled some facts; some of them, I could easily ascertain.”

“The 26 million pounds [story], I could not ascertain but the fact that they had given me instances of matters that clearly are worrisome, I gave what they told me some level of credibility,that was why I spoke to it.

“Now, if Kojo Oppong Nkrumah is saying that that is not true and that has not happened, we can only wait to see.

“Mine was to raise red flag based on a reasonable belief in the briefing I had gotten from these people who came to seek audience with me and put before me, matters which, in their view, were matters that we all ought to be concerned about. And, so, that was why I put it on air that was the primary motivation: to raise the flag and to get Ghanaians talking and asking [questions]”, he said.

Mr Oppong Nkrumah had told Takoradi-based Skyy Power FM in an earlier interview on Monday, 12 October 2020 that the news carried by Ghananewsavenue.com is “absolutely false.”

“No Ghanaian official has been arrested with £26 million in the UK. No Ghanaian official has been arrested or has been stopped travelling into the UK. No interception of £26 million heading into the UK from Ghana has taken place,” he told the radio station.

Mr Nkrumah challenged the media in Ghana to crosscheck the information from the British authorities and find out if such an incident has taken place.

“First of all, I’ll call on the Ghanaian media to engage the UK airport authorities or the UK port authorities to validate it because it is absolutely not true. That’s number one.”

Secondly, he said the government is convinced the fabrication is the handiwork of the NDC.

“It’s a total fabrication and we are clear in our minds that it’s a fabrication by the NDC and it is part of their strategy for these last eight weeks, where they’ll be churning out a lot of fabrications and lies and fake audiotapes and all of that.

“We are clear in our minds that it is the NDC. For about one or two reasons. The first person to articulate it publicly is the Hon. Inusah Fuseini, an NDC MP.

“They are the ones who are championing it and articulating on their online media platforms including radiogoldonline and now you can also find that there’s a fake audiotape that purports to be an international news broadcast on it which is being circulated since last night,” the minister alleged.

“It is a total fabrication”, Mr Oppong Nkrumah stressed, insisting: “It is part of the same strategy they used in 2008, in the last, about eight weeks to the elections, where they cook up stories and try to get it to go out and as viral as possible”.

He recalled: “Remember in 2008, getting to the elections, they came up with fake bank accounts of government officials saying that this one has X amount in his bank account etc., it is the same strategy that they are going to be using in the next eight weeks.

“And, so, we are calling, first of all on the media and the general Ghanaian public, you know your authentic, reliable media houses that give you authentic news, don’t fall for these fabrications, don’t fall for these doctored or cooked-up takes that they are going to be churning out in the next eight weeks as we get ready for the elections”, he mentioned.

Source: Class FM

Disclaimer: “The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of sankofaonline.com. sankofaonline.com will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.