Source: Class FM
Former President Jerry John Rawlings has vouched that until the COVID-19 pandemic goes, his Wole Soyinka-like hairdo will not go.
“I wanted to provide evidence that I was also hibernating and I have decided until it [COVID-19] goes, this hair won’t go”, Mr Rawlings told Accra-based Asaase.
“As soon as it [COVID-19] goes, yes [my hair will also go],” Mr Rawlings told Kweku Sakyi-Addo in an interview.
When he recently addressed the June 4 Uprising anniversary in Accra, the former military leader joked: “For those of you who are wondering about this ‘Moses brush’; if you want, call it ‘Moses broom’, since the President has decided he will use his shaven head to get rid of COVID-19, I will use [my] Moses brush to get rid of it and when it happens, then I think we can go back to our normal look.”
A few days ago, Mr Rawlings condemned the manner in which social gatherings were held without regard to COVID-19 protocols.
He said Ghanaians must not think the COVID-19 pandemic has lessened its grip or weakened its potency to let down their guard.
“Let us wake up! There are too many gatherings that ignore COVID-19 preventive protocols”, Mr Rawlings said in a statement.
“As we go through the process of voter registration, let us not let down our guard”, he advised, warning: “It may be our last mistake”.
“Let’s wear our masks, maintain appropriate social distancing, basic cough etiquette and proper hand and general hygiene protocols”, the former President urged.
Among the 122 people the virus has killed so far is the CEO of the Forestry Commission, Mr Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie, popularly called Sir John.
Also, the Sekondi-Takoradi mayor died of it.
Furthermore, four doctors have succumbed to it with 150 other health professionals stricken by it.
So far, prominent people such as the Minister of Regional Reorganisation Mr Dan Botwe, Ghana’s High Commissioner to the UK & Ireland Papa Owusu Ankomah, the governing New Patriotic Party’s Campaign Manager Peter Mac Manu, Tema West MP Carlos Ahenkorah, among others, have tested positive.
Also, President Nana Akufo-Addo has gone into a 14-day self-isolation after he got exposed to a COVID-19-positive person, Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said in a statement issued on Saturday, 4 July 2020.
“On the advice of doctors, the President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, is from today, 4 July 2020, taking a 14-day precautionary self-isolation measure in compliance with COVID-19 protocols,” the statement added.
It said: “The President has elected to do so after, at least, one person within his close circle, tested positive for COVID-19 today.”
According to the statement, the President opted to self-isolate “out of the abundance of caution” even though he has tested negative for the virus.
“The President will, during this precautionary self-isolation period, be working from the Presidential Villa at the Jubilee House, Accra,” the statement added.