News Headlines
Home » Gen. News » Nyantakyi’s $2m suit adjourned to Nov. 9

Nyantakyi’s $2m suit adjourned to Nov. 9

The President of Ghana Football Association’s $2 million dollar defamatory suit against Multimedia group and two other journalists has been adjourned to Wednesday November 9, 2016.

The case which was opened for hearing on Monday at the General Jurisdiction Court 2, was adjourned because the presiding Judge failed to turn up.

Kwasi Nyantakyi is suing Multimedia Broadcasting Limited (MBL) and two of its journalists, Patrick Osei Agyeman and Kofi Asare Brako after they described him as the ‘head of a mafia.’

Nyantakyi, an executive committee member of the Confederation of African Football, claims Asempa FM – a local-language FM station owned by MBL – tarnished his image in a series of broadcasts involving both journalists.

Thadeus Sory, Nyantakyi’s lawyer, in an earlier interview with BBC Sport said his client was described as ‘heading a mafia’ and stealing money meant for the GFA.

“They’ve called me a ‘thief’, ‘armed robber’ and a ‘corrupt’ man,” added Nyantakyi.

“I have sued them. I want to uphold standards in journalism in Ghana which have been thrown to the dogs.”
“The allegations are defamatory. To call him the head of a mafia is to impute criminality,” said Thadeus Sory, Nyantakyi’s lawyer.

The GFA president’s conduct has been under scrutiny since a government-instituted panel of enquiry recommended last year that he refund $412,000 budgeted for the 2014 World Cup, “which he has failed to account for.”

Nyantakyi, who has led Ghanaian football since 2005, is challenging the enquiry’s verdict in court.

Source: Ghana/Starrfmonline.com/103.5FM/Kobina Welsing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.