Oak Park Illinois,September 25 2016: One of the elders and respectable member of the Ghanaian community in Chicago, Mr. Clement Timpo, celebrated his 70th birthday with friends and family today, September 25 2016! The “picnic-birthday” celebrations was heavily supported by members of the Ewe Association, chiefs, elders in the Ghanaian community and friends of the Timpo family. Mr. Timpo was a former President of the Ghana National Council of Metropolitan Chicago (GNC); and left a long list of legacy for the Council and the community.
A few are:
- He was the first president to successfully acquire funding for the Ghanafest program from corporate America.
- He also secured the federal non-profit status, 501 (c) 3 and the Illinois Tax exempt for the Ghana National Council.
- His amendments of the council’s constitution led to the current structure of the council.
- His term in office saw the birth of the first website to propagate the image of the council.
- He left about $20,000.00 in the coffers of the GNC . This was made up of $7,200.00 in a Ghana House account, an account dedicated as a seed money for a future community center for Ghanaians’ in Chicago; and $12,800 in the checking account..
Mr. Timpo was also a former President of the Ewe Association of Metropolitan Chicago and organized successful CEANA Conventions in Chicago.
We at sankofaonline.com wish him many more years for his continuous support of the Ghanaian Community in Chicago.
The lenses of sankofaonline.com were there to bring to you these images.