News Headlines
Home » Headlines » Explosion and fire rips through hotel Friends of Mahama in North America was inaugurated!

Explosion and fire rips through hotel Friends of Mahama in North America was inaugurated!

Thank God for his mercies. The explosion occurred in the room directly below my room. It was so strong the floor of my room (232) collapsed immediately . I lost everything but walked out unscathed . Thanks Baba…..said Cooby Boahene, former chairman of NDC North America. He was the Keynote speaker

Source: WTOP.COM

In white shirt: Cobby Boahene and the late President of Ghana, Evans Atta Mills!

In white shirt: Cobby Boahene and the late President of Ghana Evans Atta Mills!

About 200 people, including members of the group Friends of Mahama in North America, were evacuated overnight after what has been described as “a big explosion” at a Fort Belvoir hotel.

“We heard a kaboom and it woke us up. It rocked the town home,” said Nancy Robertson, who lives a half-mile away from the Quality Inn on U.S. 1 in Fairfax County.

Fire crews from all across the county arrived at the hotel n Fort Belvoir at about 2 a.m. Sunday morning, and found the hotel well engulfed in flames.

Fairfax County Assistant Fire Chief John Caussin told WTOP on the scene that the fire looks to have started in a utility room. It took hours for firefighters to put out the blaze, which did significant damage to the hotel.

One person was injured and a firefighter suffered minor burns. NBC 4 reported Sunday morning that several people were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

WASHINGTON — UPDATE: Sunday 1 p.m. Inspectors say the hotel is a complete loss and crews expect to be on the scene for several more hours as the roof and other parts of the building have collapsed. Displaced guests are at nearby hotels, and Red Cross is on the scene to assist.
This story is developing.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and WTOP on Facebook.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.