News Headlines
Home » Headlines » Zulu King parries blame for xenophobic attacks
Zulu king

Zulu King parries blame for xenophobic attacks

Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini has said it is unfair to blame an individual for the festering xenophobic attacks in Durban, South Africa.

Zwelithini, who has been accused of sparking the attacks when he asked black foreigners to “go back to their countries” used a speech he delivered on Monday to appeal for calm.

The King told hundreds of subjects at a packed stadium in Durban that his comments were distorted and taken out of context by the media.

He said it was not fair to blame the violence on one individual, pointing out that there had been previous outbreaks of xenophobic violence in South Africa, dating back several years.

The King, who said he has been at the receiving end of an avalanche of hate speech since the xenophobic attacks started about a week ago, invited the South African Human Rights Commission to investigate the accusations levelled against him.

At least seven people, according to the BBC have been killed in the attacks.

More than 300 people have been arrested, so far in the unrest.

There were earlier reports that five Ghanaians may have been killed in the anti-foreigner attacks, but Ghana’s High Commissioner in South Africa Kwesi Awhoi has clarified that no Ghanaian has fallen victim to the attacks so far.

Also, South Africa’s High Commissioner to Ghana Lulama Xingwana told Journalists at a press conference in Accra Monday that a Ghanaian man who was found dead on the streets in Durban died of an epileptic fit.

Source: Ghana/StarrFMonline.com/103.5fm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.