Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total Time: 1 h 15 mins
1 dash(es) cooking spray, to coat baking sheet
12 ounce(s) lamb, ground
12 ounce(s) turkey, ground, 93% Lean
1 cup(s) bread crumbs, soft whole-wheat
1 large egg white(s)
1 cup(s) onion(s), minced, divided
6 clove(s) garlic, minced, divided
4 tablespoon mint, fresh, chopped, divided
1 teaspoon coriander, ground
1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1/2 teaspoon salt, Kosher, divided
1 tablespoon oil, olive, extra-virgin
1/2 cup(s) wine, red, table
1/4 teaspoon pepper, cayenne
28 ounce(s) tomatoes, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Combine lamb, turkey, breadcrumbs, egg white, 1/2 cup onion, half the garlic, 2 tablespoons mint, coriander, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Gently mix to combine. Shape into 48 little meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake the meatballs for 10 minutes. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 1/2 cup onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the remaining garlic, wine, cayenne and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer over medium-low heat until the wine has reduced significantly, 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, return to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
7. Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons mint.