News Headlines
Home » Gen. News » ‘After 3 days in coma, I was declared dead and put in the morgue’ – UDS worker

‘After 3 days in coma, I was declared dead and put in the morgue’ – UDS worker

Source: Graphic Online

A 26-year-old Systems Administrator of the University for Development Studies (UDS), Tamale campus, Ransford Stanley Baidoo, needs help to have his fractured right leg corrected to save his life. Mr Baidoo was one of eight survivors in the November 2012 fatal accident on the Tamale road near the Kamina Barracks where 51 people perished

The IT specialist was on his way to the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi, to defend his thesis in Information Technology in his second degree programme when the accident happened.

The commercial Benz bus on which he was travelling had a head-on collision with a Metro Mass bus which resulted in the fracture in his right leg.

He was rushed to the Tamale Teaching Hospital but after three days in coma, he was declared dead and placed at the Morgue.

What apparently saved the young man, according to his narration when he visited the Kumasi office of the Graphic Communications Group Limited was that at the time, the refrigerator was full and he was, therefore, to be part of the next batch of dead bodies to be preserved.

According to him, he regained consciousness a day before.

Mr Baidoo said he was, subsequently, given an initial treatment at the Tamale Teaching Hospital before he was transferred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital for further treatment.

However, after four months of undergoing four separate ‘trauma surgeries,’ Mr Baidoo was saved by a private institution in Kumasi, which managed to put the broken leg together with the help of a special metal.

But until the final removal of the ‘hanging metal’ which protrudes on the outer part of the thigh, the man would have to be injecting a special drug at Ghc 25.00 twice a day to ensure that the metal does not rot.

However, after spending a fortune on his treatment, Mr Baidoo is now cash-strapped and needs assistance to survive the period until the removal of the metal, as well as the post-trauma treatment.

Indeed, after being off the drug for a day due to lack of cash, the man collapsed on his way to the Graphic office.

He was saved by a group of young men at Asafo, who raised money to enable him to purchase the drugs for two days.

Out of the eight survivors, only three of them are alive and Mr Baidoo is the only one who can partially walk.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.