News Headlines
Home » Headlines » Otumfuo breaks silence

Otumfuo breaks silence

Source: Daily Guide


The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has finally broken his silence over wild rumours of his death in South Africa, a speculation which caused nightmares for Ghanaians, particularly, the Asante Kingdom.

The Asante Monarch broke his silence over the death rumour on Tuesday, when a powerful delegation, sent by the Techimanhene, Oseadeyo Akumfi Ameyaw, paid a courtesy call on him at the Manhyia Palace in Kumasi.

The delegation, led by Baffuor Asare Twi Brempong, the Adontenehene of Techiman Traditional Area, were sent to the palace by the Techimanhene to wish Otumfuo well, since the wild rumour of his passing proved to be false.

The Asantehene, who seemed delighted over Techimanhene’s brotherly gesture, told his guests, “If you go, tell my younger brother, the Techimanhene, that I am not sick. Tell him his brother is well.”

Otumfuo again told the high-powered delegation from the Techiman Traditional Area that he travelled to South Africa in January 2014 not to seek medical attention, saying, “I went for holidays.”

He said he was utterly surprised that some faceless people started speculating back in Ghana that he had gone to the village.

According to Otumfuo, although virtually all the people that were part of his entourage in South Africa were aware of the rumour of his death, he was unaware of the hoax report for some time.

After he finally got to know of the report, the Asantehene said he confronted his entourage about the issue in a hearty manner “and they said Nana we have also heard about it, but we were afraid to inform you.”

The Asantehene did not say anything about the faceless people that started the rumour, but only re-echoed that he was not sick, therefore, the speculations about him should be treated with the contempt that it deserved.

The occupant of the Golden Stool expressed his appreciation over the strong love that the Techimanhene, Oseadeyo Akumfi Ameyaw, had displayed towards him, stating, “I thank him very much.”

The Techimanhene’s delegation also presented hundred tubers of yam, a sheep and a bottle of schnapps to the Asantehene so that Otumfuo would use the items to pacify the gods.

The Asantehene, once again, expressed his gratitude to the Techimanhene, urging him to continually present the items to him so that he (Otumfuo) could use them to pacify the gods at the stool house.

Otumfuo was rumoured to be dead when he visited South Africa on a private visit some weeks ago. The rumour travelled far, sending shivers down the spine of most Ghanaians.

The rumour forced top-notch personalities in Kumasi including the Manwrehene and Nana Akwasi Agyeman, a royal of the Golden Stool, to debunk the report during separate exclusive interviews with Daily Guide.

The Asantehene’s death rumour eventually died out when Otumfuo was seen in public for the first time during the CHAN finale between Ghana and Libya, played in South Africa.

Otumfuo and his delegation eventually returned to the country some days later, where he broke into tears after hundreds of charged people accorded him a rousing welcome at the Kumasi Airport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.