Authorities say the gunman, who appeared to be acting alone, is in custody.
• Five people are dead, a law enforcement official told CNN.
• Thirteen people were transported to a hospital, Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief told CNN.
• Multiple reports on social media — including tweets from former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer — described the shooting.
• Gene Messina told CNN he’d arrived at the airport as people were being evacuated from the terminal.
“I got off the plane and I saw people running and screaming,” he said. “At first I was in shock but when I saw TSA agents running, I booked.”
• Investigators are looking into the gunman’s motive, Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief told CNN. Investigators haven’t released his name or detailed the events leading up to the shooting.
• The shooting occurred in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2, officials said.
• Parts of the airport were evacuated. Aerial footage from CNN affiliates showed large groups of people standing outside on the tarmac.
• More than an hour after the shooting, officials had allowed people to return into the airport, but tensions were still running high, a witness told CNN.
“Everyone sprinted outside again. We are back out on the tarmac,” Judah Fernandez said, adding that it was unclear why people had rushed outside.
• Investigators say they’re looking into unconfirmed reports of additional shots fired on airport property. The TSA advised people at the airport to shelter in place.
• The first call about the shooting came in at 12:55 p.m. ET, the Broward County Sheriff’s Office said.
• Florida Gov. Rick Scott is heading to Fort Lauderdale to be briefed by law enforcement, his office said.
• The ATF is responding to the shooting, the agency said, and the FBI is also in touch with local authorities.
• Most flights scheduled to land at the airport will be delayed or diverted, the FAA said. Flights in the air as of 2:15 p.m. that are within 50 miles of the airport will be allowed to land, according to the agency.
• In November 2016, nearly 2.5 million travelers passed through Fort Lauderdale’s airport, according to a government report on the facility
• There are four terminals at the airport, which ranks 21st in the US in terms of total passengers.
• The airport serves about 30 airlines. Many passengers use it because of its convenience to nearby cruse ship terminals.