The two, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby who arrived in Ghana last week after 14 years at the hardcore prison in a radio interview said they are thirsty for peace and want to live a normal life in Ghana.
Ghanaians have generally called for their relocation. The Christian Council of Ghana and the opposition New Patriotic Party have also kicked against their presence in the country, saying they pose a major security threat to the oil-producing nation.
Speaking to Journalists Tuesday, President Mahama said the inmates pose no threat to the country since they would be strictly monitored.
“They were put in the lowest risk in Guantanamo…they were never tried, they were never charged and they were never convicted.
“As Commander-in-Chief of this country I will not take any decision that would jeopardize the safety of any Ghanaian…we must look at the side of compassion, I am a Christian and the Bible teaches us to be compassionate to prisoners and these people were not even convicted and so where is our Christian compassion for people,” President Mahama added.
President Mahama added Ghana decided to accept the inmates of Guantanamo after extensive security checks by national security operatives.
No Monetary considerations
The President also strongly dismissed widespread claims that his government received money in exchange for the transfer of the ex-inmates of Guantanamo.
“There is no monetary considerations…so what they are saying on social media that I collected 300 million is absolutely untrue.”
According to him, the decision to accept them was purely based on the relationship between Ghana and the United States.