General Secretary of the ruling National Democratic Congress(NDC) Johnson Aseidu Nketia says God has exposed the opposition New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) addiction to rituals in the run-up to a crucial by-election in Talensi in the Upper East region.
He says the removal of clothes by the delegation of the NPP who visited the spiritual leader in the town known as ‘Tindana’ is a sign that the party went to do rituals.
NPP has explained that its delegation went topless because it is a traditional requirement for meeting Tindana to get clearance for political campaigns in Talensi.
The Tindana speaking through an interpreter and in the presence of topless journalists has also affirmed the NPP’s position.
But Aseidu Nketia rejects this explanation and questioned the authenticity of the interpretation done on behalf of Tindana.
According to the General Secretary popularly known as ‘General Mosquito’, the NDC also visited Tindana but were not required to go topless.
“We went to Tindana even before the NPP went there. I didn’t take off my smock and others in my delegation did not take off any clothing. If you go to do rituals that is when you take off your clothes and slaughter chickens”.
The NDC General Secretary says they have photos of their visit as evidence.
Aseidu Nketia believes the NPP often uses God as a smokescreen but “underground”, they use Mallams and ritualists for political power.
He said the party often creates the impression that they follow the Christian God by resorting to campaign slogans like the ‘The battle is the Lord’s’ used in 2012 general elections and ‘Awurade Kasa’ used in 2008.
“Today what they really do and stand for has been exposed”, the politician stated.
Aseidu Nketia wants leadership of the NPP to feel free to declare their traditional beliefs because Ghana’s constitution tolerates and encourages freedom of religion.
- NPP respected our tradition; Tindana of Talensi defends
- Win for NPP begins homestretch 2016 – Akufo-Addo
- By-election dress rehearsal for 2016 – Mahama
- I won’t vote for myself – Akua Donkor’s candidate
- Talensi by-election: We are ready – Police
- NPP sharing goodies in Talensi not NDC – B.T. Baba
- Talensi election will test NPP, NDC popularity – Akufo-Addo
- EC insists no verification, no vote in Talensi by-election
- NPP will fall in Talensi – Asiedu Nketia
- Charlotte Osei to monitor Talensi by-election
- NDC will surely win Talensi seat – Former NDC MP