Ghanaian Emmanuel Quaicoe, who was found dead on the streets of Durban in South Africa during the heightened periods of the recent xenophobic violence, was interred on Sunday, April 26.
Quaicoe, 48, was found dead on April 7 with head injuries.
According to South African authorities, he died of natural causes, specifically epilepsy.
“He had an [epileptic] attack on the streets of KwaMashu in Durban and died,” South African High Commissioner Lulama Xingwana said last week.
“He was taken to hospital and postmortem reports stated that he died of natural causes.”
Though he hails from Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghanaian residents in Durban decided to bury him there.
Ghana’s High Commission is said to have provided funds for the funeral and burial activities.
About $2,500 was provided by the High Commission to the Ghanaian residents’ association for Sunday’s activities.
Officials of the High Commission as well as two National Security operatives – who had been dispatched to South Africa by government – attended the activities in Durban. They also took the opportunity to interact with Ghanaians over the recent wave of xenophobic attacks in the rainbow nation.
Meanwhile, the High Commission is said to be liaising with Ghanaian churches to have Ghanaians officially registered.