Fire has consumed a 105-year-old woman while she slept in her family’s 8-bedroom house at Kronum in the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi.
The fire is suspected to have been caused by a power outage.
But for the intervention of some neighbours, a pregnant woman and her two children would have also been consumed by the inferno, which decimated virtually all items and property in the house.
The roof of the room where the blind bed-ridden old lady was confined, caved in, according to eyewitnesses, thus frustrating rescue efforts to get Akua Adei to safety.
She was very frail and could not do anything for herself.
The Suame Magazine Fire Station is investigating the incident, which occurred Sunday night.