A 30-year-old Nkonya man has been shot in the ongoing Nkonya-Alavanyo conflict in the Volta region’s Hohoe District. Kofi Donkor is currently receiving treatment at the Margaret Marquart Hospital Kpando after he was shot on Saturday March 23. The shooting was a reprisal attack by the Alavanyo’s to avenge the killing of their warlord on Thursday March 21, 2013. The Warlord, Koku Teyi, was reportedly shot in the chest at his home but died on reaching the Margaret Marquart Hospital at Kpando. The protracted and recurrent conflict over land has spanned several decades since 1923. About a month ago, two persons from Nkonya-Tayi, Anthony Akoto, 52, and Michael Sarpong, 48, were both killed on their farms. The latter was beheaded.
On December 29, last year, security was beefed up in the area following two separate shooting incidents in which one person from Alavanyo died. The fresh clashes compelled Interior Minister Kwesi Ahwoi to impose a curfew on the area from Friday March 22, 2013. A release signed by the Minister said the curfew period was from 6.00pm to 6.00am. The statement explained that the curfew was necessary to prevent the continuous communal violence between the two age old rivals from escalating. “The decision is on the advice of the Volta Regional Security Council and is by Executive Instrument,” the release said. Residents were also banned from carrying weapons-arms, ammunition, or any offensive weapon in the town and its surrounding areas. The Interior Ministry warned that any person found with arms or ammunition would be arrested and prosecuted.