FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Hoteliers set to introduce own Service Standards
Accra, Ghana— Plans are far advanced for the Ghana Hotels Association (GHA) to introduce its service standards into member hotels throughout the country. Comprising of about 1000(one thousand} member hotels of various grades in the country, the association in collaboration with its stakeholders will introduce service standards into this sector of the industry, to harmonize service operations in the country.
“It’s only a matter of days for the GHA to come up with its service standards for its member hotels in the country”, the national president of GHA, Mr. Herbert Acquaye has confirmed this decision by the National Executive Council of the association.
Presently, there are no unified service standards operating in the various grades of hotels in Ghana. However, there are the ECOWAS harmonized standards that exist for hotel infrastructures. The resultant effect of this is the unsatisfactory services leading to constant complaints from dissatisfied guests. The service standards when launched, is expected to harmonize service operations in the hotel facilities; thereby improving on guests satisfaction.
As part of this programme to launch the service standards, the GHA has already undertaken the following consultative events:
1. Stakeholder consultation to discuss current problems
2. Advocacy training for members of the association
3. Research into some of the existing service standards being used elsewhere,to incorporate best practice
4. Sensitization and dialogue programmes to facilitate acceptance and enforcement of the draft standards
5. Dialogue with key stakeholders and targets of advocacy to facilitate the validation of these draft standards.
The GHA should be receiving feedback on the proposed service standards from the stakeholders in the next few days.
It is the view of the association that implementation of these service standards would help:
1. The GTA to evolve new criteria for inspections and grading
2. Serve as a benchmark to guide various grades of hotels to produce appropriate policies and procedures
3. Develop simplified regimes for regulators’ inspection, grading and granting of permits
4. Improve service delivery and patronage.
Founded in 1975, the Ghana Hotels Association is the largest body of the various grades of hotel facilities operating in the country. The association’s vision is to see to the establishment of a vibrant hospitality sector, whereby all hotels in the country would have qualified/trained personnel, who would merit international standards and offer flawless service to visitors and boost tourism to become a leading sector of the Ghanaian economy. The service standards when in opearation should enable the association and its over 1000 membership of various grades to provide harmonized home-away-from-home services to guests in all hotel facilities throughout the country. For more information please visit: www.ghanahotelsassociation.com
Mr. Herbert Acquaye
Ghana Hotels Association
Tel: +233 302 249584
Mobile: +233 244 185216